Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge officially opened in Disneyland on May 31, 2019 and it opens August 29, 2019 in Disney’s Hollywood Studios. When the land was created, dedicated expansion pads were put in place and rumors of expansion are already underway. Details are limited other than a time frame as far out as 2027. With anything that far in advance, this should be considered highly subject to change.
One item mentioned at the park announcement was a larger table service restaurant that would either be attached to Oga’s Cantina or be a separate experience.
Other possibilities include rolling in components from the original trilogy and/or the Disney+ show The Mandalorian.
February 20: 2020: Lucasfilm Senior Vice President of Licensing, Paul Southern (via intheknow) revealed that the Disney Parks will soon be getting a meet and Greet of The Mandalorian from the Disney+ series of the same name. The InTheKnow article has since been removed, but in it Southern indicated guests would be able to meet the character in the near future.
The location of the meet and greet is unknown, with potential timeline concerns surrounding its addition to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. The timeline of the Disney+ show has it taking place 20-25 years prior to the timeline of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.
January 21, 2020: WDWMagic.com user WDW Pro is reporting that Disney is re-evaluating aspects of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. Expected changes include the following:
- The expectation is that R2-D2 and C3PO Meet and Greets will be added this year, possible as soon as May
- A decision on expansion will likely be made in February even if information on the expansion is not revealed.
- A new mission for Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run is expected to feature aspects of The Mandalorian. This is expected to be approved in February
- Changes to Blue/Green Milk are expected to arrive in June/July
- There is a potential expansion to Pandora: The World of AVATAR that would potentially compete with Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge for an expansion budget.
January 7, 2020: The Disney Parks Blog announced that a roaming R2-D2 droid has debuted in Disneyland.
December 15, 2019: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that while nothing has been approved, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and its attractions were designed in a way for the stories to revert to the Original Trilogy.
July 2, 2019: On the latest episode of Looking at Lucasfilm, Jim Hill mentions that Disney is looking to fast track the expanded restaurant in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.
May 29, 2019: WDWNT.com is reporting that Disney is already considering expansion for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge with a time frame of 2027.