Concept art for a redesigned Future World was released at the 2019 D23 Expo that showed the removal of Innoventions West. Demolition began in late 2019.
Many areas of Innoventions East and West had their last day of operation on September 7, 2019 with other areas closing in late 2019 and early 2020.
- Mouse Gear – Relocated to a temporary location behind the Electric Umbrella on January 5, 2020. The original area will be refurbished.
- Electric Umbrella – To be rethemed
- Club Cool – Last day of operation September 7, 2019. Expected to be incorporated into the refurbished Mouse Gear area.
- Fountain View (Starbucks) – Last day of operation September 7, 2019. Expected to be incorporated into a new area in the future. A temporary Starbucks location called Traveler’s Cafe officially opened on December 24, 2019 to the right of the Refreshment Port in Showcase Plaza.
- Innoventions East – Taka a Nanooze Break, Colortopia and all of Innoventions East – Last day of Operation September 7, 2019
- Innoventions West – Epcot Character Spot was relocated to a new entrance on The Land Pavilion side of Innoventions West. The breezeway Jewelry Cart had its last day of Operation on September 7, 2019
While a significant portion of Innoventions West has been removed it is unknown what changes will be made to the plans for Epcot’s redesign following the parks closure due to the Coronavirus.
February 5, 2021: BlogMickey.com posted a photo update of the Innoventions West demolition.
February 2, 2021: WDWMagic.com user Magic Feather is reporting that the updated retail location in EPCOT should open this summer and may retain the Mouse Gear name.
January 2, 2021: Walls and windows have been installed as part of the Mouse Gear construction. BlogMickey.com has posted photos of the construction.
November 9, 2020: D23.com announced a series of virtual events called “D23 Fantastic Worlds”. At 3 PM on November 19th, D23 will host an event called “EPCOT – The Magic of Possibility”. The presentation is expected to discuss the evolution of EPCOT.
October 6, 2020: BlogMickey.com posted photos of additional demolition at Electric Umbrella.
September 18, 2020: WDWMagic.com posted photos confirming that demolition on Electric Umbrella has begun with the outdoor seating area.
May 5, 2020: On Disney’s Quarter 2 Fiscal Year 2020 earnings call, Disney Chief Financial Officer Christine McCarthy stated the company’s plans to reduce capital expenditures during the Covid-19 pandemic. McCarthy stated that capital expenditures for the parks and resorts would be reduced by $900 million by way of pausing refurbishment and construction projects.
Details of specific projects that may be subject to delay or cancellation were not stated, but construction on all ongoing Walt Disney World projects was suspended shortly after the park closure in March.
While part of Innoventions West has been removed, it is unknown if the future plans for this area will change, be cancelled entirely or be delayed.
January 5, 2020: The original Mouse Gear location had its last day of operation on January 4th before closing for refurbishment. The merchandise was relocated to the other Innoventions East building behind Electric Umbrella. The temporary location is expected to remain open throughout the refurbishment, and the refurbishment is expected to take most of the year.
It is unknown if the Mouse Gear name will remain when the original location reopens. It is expected that the refurbished store will be smaller than the original. A new version of Club Cool is also expected to be added in this area.
The new entrance is across from the Mission: SPACE pavilion.
BlogMickey.com shared a video of the new temporary area:
December 24, 2019: Traveler’s Cafe debuted in Showcase Plaza.
September 9, 2019: Construction Walls were put up overnight around Future World and BlogMickey.com posted photos of the walls.
September 7, 2019: Innoventions East and West, including Colortopia, Take a Nanooze Break, Jewelry Cart, Fountain View and Club Cool had their last day of operation. The Epcot Character Spot entrance relocated to a new entrance on The Land Pavilion side of Innoventions West.
August 25, 2019: During the Parks and Resorts presentation at the 2019 D23 Expo, Bob Chapek officially confirmed that Future World would be divided into three distinct neighborhoods:
- World Discovery (Former Future World East)
- World Celebration (Former center of Future World)
- World Nature (Former Future World West)
He showed concept art that confirmed the removal of Innoventions West.
August 20, 2019: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 gave details on the changes coming to Innoventions and the rest of Future World:
The west building will be razed. In its place will be two main buildings and a collection of simple, smaller ones. One main building will be where M&G will be located, the other an unusually shaped (think egg) multi level facility for festival operations, events and entertainment. It will indeed include an upper level bar / cafe type environment.
The much talked about water element will be an IP tied water maze near the Seas pavilion as has been discussed earlier.
There will be lots of winding pathways and foliage in this area. There is a proposal for a fountain feature where the existing one is. This may be the same or a replacement.
Circulation will be concentrated around the edge of what is currently the central area as opposed to walking in a straight line. Think of pathways following the current inside perimeters of east and west. And yes, there will be alcoholic beverage seating outside roughly where the current Mousegear rotunda is.
The east building will stay pretty much as is with a lot of cosmetic work. Merchandise will be where it is now, whilst the north east quadrant will become solely food and beverage.
The walkway(s) to Showcase will remain as-is albeit with the west addition widened and new landscaping on the central pathway. Lakes will remain as-is.
August 19, 2019: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that the Parks and Resorts presentation at the D23 Expo (scheduled for August 25th) is expected to be Epcot heavy and include the following updates:
- Details on the Circle Vision films in China and Canada
- The United Kingdom attraction
- The update to Spaceship Earth
- The updates to Future World
- Updates and a name for the long term fireworks show that will follow Epcot Forever
July 2, 2019: Disney has announced several locations around Epcot that will close later this year in anticipation of the park’s transformation.
- Mouse Gear – To will be relocated to a temporary location while the current location is reimagined.
- Club Cool – Closing and expected to be incorporated into a new area in the future
- Fountain View (Starbucks) – Closing and expected to be incorporated into a new area in the future
- Art of Disney and Pin Central – Expected to close September 8, 2019 (Last day of Operation September 7, 2019)
- Camera Center – To close and reopen in early 2020 with products from Pin Central
- Heritage Manor – To close and reopen in early 2020 with products from the Art of Disney
- Innoventions East – Taka a Nanooze Break, Colortopia and all of Innoventions East will close on September 8, 2019 (Last day of Operation September 7, 2019)
July 2, 2019: WDWMagic.com is reporting that the Epcot Character Spot is expected to close on September 8, 2019 as part of the Innoventions West removal and Epcot central spine project.
May 29, 2019: The Disney Parks Blog teased fans with an announcement today that Epcot updates would be announced at the D23 Expo. The Expo will be held from August 23-25th at the Anaheim Convention Center.
Details were limited, and largely in line with previous announcements of the park’s evolution. Of note was the mention of new pavilion icons in the style of the classic Epcot pavilion logos.
Also of note was the specific mention of items flanking Spaceship Earth. The article also referred to Epcot as the “foodie park” potentially giving an indication that the Festival schedule will not be changing.
April 8, 2019: WDWNT.com is reporting details on several of the expected changes coming to Epcot’s Future World as part of Project Gamma. Details include the following:
- The center area of Future World (formerly Pin Central, beyond Spaceship Earth) will become a garden
- The Fountain of Nations (the fountain in front of the walkway to World Showcase) will become a permanent Beer Garden)
- Innoventions West will be replaced with several items including the “Journey of Water” trail/maze the “Festival Canopy” and “Character Meet and Greets”
- Club Cool and Fountain View / Starbucks will be replaced with a new Festival Center
The expectation is that these will be announced at or before the 2019 D23 Expo and completion is expected to be by 2022.
WDWMagic.com user marni1971 reported that while placement of specific items on the map created by WDWNT may be slightly off, the general points are correct.
February 21, 2019: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that the current plan calls for the removal of Club Cool.
February 21, 2019: Disney revealed details and concept art for the new entrance to Epcot. Part of this concept art shows the removal of Innoventions West.
February 10, 2019: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that as part of the removal of Innoventions West, Fountain View (Starbucks) would also be removed.
February 7, 2019: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that, “East trumps West” implying that Innoventions West will likely be closing as part of the overhaul to Future World.
December 17, 2018: WDWNT.com is reporting that construction walls are up in the Image Works area of the Imagination Pavilion in anticipation of meet and greets moving into this location. The article states that the Innoventions Meet and Greets including Wreck-It Ralph and Inside Out are expected to move to this location in preparation of the Innoventions buildings being removed as part of the Future World overhaul.
December 5, 2017: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that he knows the “Gardens of Wonder” name to be for part of the updates related to the center (central spine) of Future World. This could be related to the removal of Innoventions.
December 4, 2017: WDWNT.com is reporting that as part of the changes to Epcot, one possibilty is to add a “Garden of Wonder” in front of each pavilion in Future World and World Showcase. The idea for each of these is a display outside the pavilion that would be highlighted by a Disney character that’s relevant to that pavilion.
July 15, 2017: At the 2017 D23 Expo, Disney confirmed that Epcot’s Future World would be undergoing a significant redesign. Disney shared a piece of concept art for a newly designed Future World. The artwork shows the removal of the Innoventions facilities in favor of foliage and other structures.
Disney did not release this concept art with today’s press release resulting in the image being taken from the Parks and Resorts presentation.
In addition to the removal of Innoventions, the exterior of The Seas Pavilion appears to be modified and other smaller structures can be seen throughout the area.
June 20, 2017: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that a final design for Innoventions has not been determined but he expects the project will be completed in the middle of 2020.
November 19, 2016: At the D23 “Destination D” event Bob Chapek, the Chairman of Disney Parks and Resorts said that major changes are coming to Epcot. A tweet from @DisneyParks cites Bob Chapek telling Imagineers to, “Dream Big” when it comes to Epcot changes. As part of this discussion, Bob Chapek also referenced an increased presence for the Society for Explorers and Adventurers which has been part of the backstory of several Disney attractions and areas throughout the world.
Chapek also emphasized that the changes would maintain the original vision of the park.
November 10, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 summarized additional possibilties for the Innoventions area:
- New name for Innoventions with a remodel.
- New store replacing Mouse Gear
- Possible expansions to the North East and North West
- Possible expansion to Starbucks
- Electric Umbrella space to be consolidated but remain a restaurant.
August 29, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 summarized all of the various proposals for Epcot’s Future World. These included:
- Guardians of the Galaxy inspired ride coming to Universe of Energy
- More eating options in Futureworld Innoventions mostly gutted and repurposed.
- New interior layouts. Possible expansion here and there.
- New landscaping, place making and “feel” to Futureworld central spine – the area from the entrance, around Spaceship Earth, through the fountain area and out towards showcase.
- Proposals for The Land and Imagination, with nothing confirmed nor budgeted for as of yet. Proposals for additions and updates at various places around Showcase.
- Proposed new night time lagoon show in 2-3 years time.
August 24, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that one proposal for Innoventions would see changes to the interior and exterior with only the footprint remaining similar.
August 12, 2016: WDWMagic.com is reporting that both Sum of All Thrills and Storm Struck will have their last day of operation on September 14, 2016.
June 29, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that additional changes are expected to Innoventions.
June 24, 2016: WDWMagic.com user bugsbunny is reporting that The Sum of All Thrills is no longer listed on any internal Ratheon websites.
June 17, 2016: On the newest Epcot park map, The Sum of All Thrills continued to appear in Innoventions East.
May 18, 2016: WDWMagic.com user thecompman posted an image from The Sum of All Thrills website that indicates replaying the attraction online is only available through June 30, 2016.
Epcot Character Spot
Art of Disney – Future World
Pin Traders – Camera Center
Heritage Manor Gifts