Micky Dolenz, Village People and More To Rock Flower Power Weekend Concert Crowds at 20th Epcot International Flower& Garden Festival
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – Pop stars of the 1960s and ’70s will belt out rock ‘n’ roll classics and “best-of” dance tunes for Flower Power concert guests during the 20th Epcot International Flower& Garden Festival. Beginning March 8 and continuing each weekend, the electric Flower Power lineup of award-winning artists will feature two new-to-the-festival acts: The Village People (“Y.M.C.A”) and Tommy Roe (“DIZZY”).
Kicking off the concert series March 8-10, The Monkees lead singer Micky Dolenz will return for fans who flocked to his May 2012 Epcot festival concerts. Dolenz appeared in concert to honor his beloved late band mate, Davy Jones, who had been a Flower Power fan favorite.
Performances are at America Gardens Theatre at 5:15, 6:30 and 7:45 p.m. each Friday, Saturday and Sunday of the Epcot International Flower& Garden Festival. Here’s the lineup (subject to change without notice):
March 8-10 The Monkees Lead Singer Micky Dolenz “Last Train to Clarksville”
March 15-17 Chubby Checker& The Wildcats “The Twist”
March 22-24 The Guess Who “American Woman”
March 29-31 Nelson “Garden Party”
April 5-7 The Turtles featuring Flo& Eddie “Happy Together”
April 12-14 Paul Revere& The Raiders “Good Thing”
April 19-21 NEW! Village People “Y.M.C.A.”
April 26-28 The Orchestra featuring former members of ELO and ELO Part II “Don’t Bring Me Down”
May 3-5 NEW! Tommy Roe “DIZZY”
May 10-12 Herman’s Hermits starring Peter Noone “I’m Henry the VIII, I Am”
May 17-19 Starship starring Mickey Thomas “We Built this City”
Flower Power performances are included with Epcot admission. For additional information about the festival, visit www.epcotinspring.com.
The Kinsey Collection Opens
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — The African-American story of determination, courage, hope, struggle and inspiration will be told through more than 40 pieces of art, artifacts, books, sculptures and documents on display at the Walt Disney World Resort. Previews begin in late February and the official opening will take place March 8, 2013.
At Epcot, the American Adventure pavilion will be home to the Kinsey’s personal treasures of African-American art and history, amassed from their travels to 90 countries and dating back to the 17th century.
The Kinsey Collection is the intersection where art and history meet, a virtual history book opened wide, giving voice to untold stories of accomplishment and contribution. The Kinsey Collection, at the American Heritage Gallery, will be included in Epcot admission.
Atlanta Braves Spring Training
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla.– The Atlanta Braves, who earned a National League Wild Card berth in 2012, will return for spring training at Walt Disney World Resort. Starting in late February and running through March, the Braves will host an 18-game schedule at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.
This year’s club will be led by young stars Jason Heyward and Craig Kimbrel, along with veterans Brian McCann and Tim Hudson. Additionally, brothers B.J. and Justin Upton have been added to the lineup during the offseason.
A lineup of marquee teams will visit Champion Stadium, including the New York Yankees, St. Louis Cardinals, Philadelphia Phillies and Detroit Tigers. Additionally, this year’s schedule also will include select promotional themed games, along with the traditional Disney family-oriented fun, including in-game entertainment, Disney character appearances and on-field fan experiences. Kids will again have the opportunity to run the bases after every game.
For more details, visit http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/pro/braves-spring-training.
Dreams Come True for High School Students
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla.–The sixth annual Disney’s Dreamers Academy with Steve Harvey and Essence Magazine takes place at Walt Disney World Resort March 7-10, 2013. During the event, 100 high school students from across the nation are immersed in a career-inspirational program that includes motivational seminars, networking events, hands-on creative experiences shared with entertainment experts, motivational speakers and business professionals who encourage them to succeed and follow their dreams at Walt Disney World Resort. More information is available at disneysdreamersacademy.com.
Mighty 'St. Patrick’s Day Celebration’ Invites Wearin' of the Green at Downtown Disney Pleasure Island March 8-10& 14-17
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – Wearin’ of the green is encouraged, but not mandatory during the most authentic St. Patrick’s Day celebration in town March 8-10 and 14-17 at Raglan Road Irish Pub& Restaurant and across Downtown Disney Pleasure Island. More than 10 top Irish bands will perform on select days during the festivities.
The spirited week of revelry will gear up March 8-10 from 6 to 11 p.m. with performances at Raglan Road by The Willis Clan, a family of artists and musicians who merge their Irish roots with other music genres. Nova Celtic, with its own twist on popular Irish music, will appear on a nearby outdoor stage. Beginning March 14 and 15 from 6 p.m. until 1 a.m., and continuing March 16 and 17 from noon until 1 a.m., it’s a “Mighty Festival” at Raglan Road, a true Irish pub with Dublin roots, that includes Irish bands and pro dancers performing on several stages indoors and out. Also on tap: a mighty selection of beers, food by Irish celebrity chef Kevin Dundon, face painting, stiltwalkers and plenty of St. Patrick’s Day memorabilia. Highlights of the celebration across Pleasure Island will include:
- Performances by The Willis Clan, Girsa, Three Dollar Band, Nova Celtic, The Farrell Bros., Celtic Wave, Johnny& Justin, Wyndbreakers, Raglan Road house band Creel and Albannach, with a new approach to percussion and Celtic music
- World-famous U2 tribute band Elevation, playing Saturday and Sunday
- Renowned Irish dancer and choreographer Ronan McCormack of the original Riverdance cast, leading Irish Dance Workshops Friday through Sunday and distinguished Dublin-born multi-instrumentalist Declan Masterson, leading Irish Music Workshops
- The Raglan Road Dancers, seven full-time champion dancers, performing daily
- “The Electric Ceili,” (kay-lee) Sunday evening, bringing together a host of Irish musicians and dancers
Guests can order from the Raglan Road and Cooke’s of Dublin popular food and drink menus throughout the event.
They’ll also discover additional food offerings across Pleasure Island. On Saturday, March 16 and Sunday, St. Patrick’s Day, Raglan Road seating will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Access to select entertainment on March 16 will include a $5 cover charge; on March 17, the cover will run up to $10. Raglan Road reservations can be booked on March 14 and 15 by calling 407/938-0300. For more information visit Disneyworld.com/StPatricksDay and raglanroad.com.
Disney’s Water Parks Welcome the Spring Season
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla.– Disney’s Water Parks offer a “cool” break for the whole family during a Walt Disney World Resort vacation. Guests looking to get a head start on spring fun can slide over to Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon. Meantime, Disney’s Blizzard Beach re-opens on March 17. Tickets start at $52.
Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon treats guests to a water park escape to a tropical paradise left behind by a storm. Surfboards, fishing gear, boats, including the iconic shrimp boat, Ms. Tilly, once strewn about by a typhoon, adds to the ambiance. Guests can snorkel with sharks, stingrays and tropical fish in a coral reef, plunge down rushing rapids, sunbathe on the sandy beach and glide down a lazy river.
Guests visiting Disney’s Blizzard Beach will discover a melting wonderland where a freak snowstorm hit Florida. Icicles, ski gear and steep slopes grace the ski resort landscape, home to some of the most thrilling water rides in the United States. There, guests can also float down a tranquil river and sunbathe on the beach.
For the most up-to-date park hours and ticket information, please visit disneyworld.com/waterparks.
What’s New in Disney Dining
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – New treats in France, a new menu at Le Cellier in the Canada pavilion at Epcot, a renovation for California Grill at Disney’s Contemporary Resort and the new Mickey Check headline Disney dining news.
- The expansive new Boulangerie Patisserie Les Halles bakery is open in the Epcot France pavilion, located in the space adjacent to the France movie theater exit. The bakery offers sweets, soups, sandwiches, salads and authentic French dishes such as quiche and Croque Monsieur (grilled ham and cheese). Plenty of choices are on the Disney Dining Plan. The bakery opens daily at 9 a.m., ahead of the 11 a.m. opening of World Showcase.
- The popular Le Cellier in the Canada pavilion at Epcot recently debuted an all-day menu, with Canadian-raised beef as the sophisticated star of the show, from the signature filet mignon with white truffle-butter sauce to a grilled Wagyu short rib and grilled bone-in ribeye. The longtime favorite Cheddar Cheese Soup made with Moosehead beer stays on the menu, along with classic poutine fries with Canadian Cheddar. Pair with some of Canada’s best wines and beer from Quebec for a meal to remember. For reservations, call 407-WDW-WINE.
- The new Mickey Check for Kids’ Meals is now featured in both quick-service and table-service restaurants across Walt Disney World Resort, making it easier to identify healthier food options in all of the Disney theme parks and resorts. Kids’ Complete Meals must be ordered without substitutions and include at least three of the following food groups: fruits and vegetables; low-fat dairy; whole grains or lean protein, beans, eggs and nuts. For more information, visit www.disneymickeycheck.com.
- California Grill at Disney’s Contemporary Resort will reopen later this summer with new decor, a new kitchen and a new menu that’s already in the works. But Chef Brian Piasecki already has started to work on the new menu, which updates some of the restaurant’s classics, like the pork and polenta, which becomes “Pork Two Ways” with wood-fired tenderloin with goat cheese polenta, and braised lacquered pork belly with country applesauce. Sushi also stays on the new menu.
Disney Cruise Line Unveils New 2014 Itineraries and Ports
CELEBRATION, Fla – In 2014, Disney Cruise Line will offer new itineraries, including an expanded collection of European cruises highlighting the Greek Isles. Plus, Disney Cruise Line will depart for the first time from homeports in Venice, Italy and San Juan, Puerto Rico. These and many more 2014 Disney Cruise Line itineraries are now available for booking.
Highlights from the Disney Cruise Line 2014 schedule include:
Mediterranean from Venice and Barcelona – From May to August 2014, the Disney Magic will sail four-, five-, seven-, nine- and 12-night cruises in the Mediterranean, including new destinations in the Greek Isles and Sicily for the very first time. Also new for the 2014 European season, Disney Cruise Line will use Venice, Italy as a homeport for select sailings. During these cruises, the Disney Magic overnights in Venice, giving guests the opportunity to experience an evening in the spectacular city.
Southern Caribbean from San Juan – Kicking off another first, Disney Cruise Line will homeport in San Juan. The Disney Magic will sail four cruises from San Juan to the Southern Caribbean, including Grenada – a new port of call for Disney. Seven-night cruises to the Southern Caribbean on the Disney Magic depart Sept. 20, Sept. 27, Oct. 4, and Oct. 11 from San Juan and will visit Antigua, St. Lucia, Grenada, Barbados and St. Kitts.
Alaska from Vancouver – Disney Wonder will return to Alaska for another summer season, sailing seven-night cruises from Vancouver to Tracy Arm fjord, Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan, with the addition of one special nine-night sailing that includes a stop at Sitka.
Caribbean and Bahamas – For guests looking to escape to tropical paradise, Disney Cruise Line will continue to sail from Port Canaveral to the Caribbean and Bahamas on a variety of itineraries. Every cruise departing from Port Canaveral includes a stop at Disney’s private island, Castaway Cay.
To learn more about Disney Cruise Line or to book a vacation, guests can visit disneycruise.com, call Disney Cruise Line at 888/DCL-2500 or contact their travel agent.