Rumor StatusBlue Sky
Details are limited at the moment, but it appears that Disney is considering an addition or replacement to Chester and Hester's Dinorama and possibly all of Dinoland USA within 5-7 years.
Two different rumors for this area include:
- A roller coaster replacing Chester and Hester's Dinorama
- Indiana Jones taking over the theme of the entire Dinoland USA and Chester and Hester's Dinorama. This could include a retheme of DINOSAUR to Indiana Jones Adventure (Disneyland, Tokyo Disney Sea), an archeology themed replacement to The Boneyard, and a third attraction replacing Chester and Hester's Dinorama that could be a water ride or a roller coaster.
At this point, neither rumor should be considered anything more than Blue Sky.
August 23, 2017: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 clarified that while this is likely to be a, "substantial project" it is unlikely to be the existing Excavator concept. Additionally he reiterated that this is definitely not green lit.
August 22, 2017: On Episode 134b of the Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish Podcast, Jim Hill discussed the Indiana Jones rumor and dismissed it as fan speculation.
August 21, 2017: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 is reporting that there is a plan to replace Chester and Hester's Dinorama without replacing the other components of Dinoland USA. The rumored replacement would be a previously unused coaster concept. While WDW1974 did not state that this would be the Excavator concept that was an Imagineering proposal from the early days of Disney's Animal Kingdom. While he did not rule out an Indiana Jones re-theme to the area, he acknowledged that he had not heard any details related to that.
August 16, 2017: WDWMagic.com WildcatDen is reporting that the rumored attractions would be as follows:
- DINOSAUR would be rethemed into a version of Indiana Jones Adventure, but not identical to Disneyland
- Primeval Whirl and Triceratop Spin would be removed for an E-ticket, possibly a water ride.
- The Boneyard would have light retheming.
In a follow up post, WildcatDen reported that a coaster is also being considered instead of or in addition to the water ride.
August 14, 2017: WDWMagic.com user TheVisionarySoul is reporting that he has heard a rumor about Indiana Jones taking over Dinoland USA. While he did clarify that this was just a rumor at this point, the details he outlined included the following:
- DINOSAUR to be rethemed to the Indiana Jones Adventure from Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Sea
- An archeology themed dig site to replace The Boneyard
- The demolition and ultimate replacement of Chester and Hester's Dinorama.
User Magic Feather indicated that Indiana Jones is one option on the table for this area and is in the top two at the moment. User WDW1974 indicated that he is not aware of a project involving Indiana Jones, but is aware that Disney is looking to replace Chester and Hester's Dinorama with a major attraction.
July 29, 2017: WDWMagic.com user Magic Feather is reporting that he expects news of the closure of Primeval Whirl, "in a year or two".
May 29, 2017: WDWMagic.com user Magic Feather stated that a number of projects are being considered for Disney's Animal Kingdom by 2028. Options include gutting and replacing Dinorama, a re-theme for Dinoland USA and a replacement for the Theater in the Stars.
May 13, 2017: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 hinted that Animal Kingdom could see another roller coaster as it's next addition.
May 11, 2017: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 indicated that new attractions could be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom as both new construction and/or as a replacement for Dinorama.
November 10, 2011: JimHillMedia.com wrote an article describing the never built Excavator attraction at Disney's Animal Kingdom.