Time FrameVarious stages, likely before 2021
Rumor StatusBlue Sky
Various rumors are circulating about a re-design of Epcot's Future World. Multiple areas are rumored with various amounts of investment into different pavilions. Many of these have been separated into different rumors:
- Ellen's Energy Adventure to be replaced with Guardians of the Galaxy attraction?
- Changes Coming to Innoventions.
- Proposals for The Land Pavilion and Imagination Pavilion - currently no budget for either project.
- Proposal for a replacement of Illuminations by 2018-2020.
General changes for Future World that have been rumored include:
- Additional eating options in Future World
- New landscaping and place making to alter the center area of Future World.
November 19, 2016: At the D23 "Destination D" event Bob Chapek, the Chairman of Disney Parks and Resorts said that major changes are coming to Epcot. A tweet from @DisneyParks cites Bob Chapek telling Imagineers to, "Dream Big" when it comes to Epcot changes. As part of this discussion, Bob Chapek also referenced an increased presence for the Society for Explorers and Adventurers which has been part of the backstory of several Disney attractions and areas throughout the world.
Chapek also emphasized that the changes would maintain the original vision of the park.
November 10, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 summarized additional possibilties for the Innoventions area:
- New name for Innoventions with a remodel.
- New store replacing Mouse Gear
- Possible expansions to the North East and North West
- Possible expansion to Starbucks
- Electric Umbrella space to be consolidated but remain a restaurant.
August 29, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 summarized all of the various proposals for Epcot's Future World. These included:
- Guardians of the Galaxy inspired ride coming to Universe of Energy
- More eating options in Future World
- Innoventions mostly gutted and re-purposed. New interior layouts. Possible expansion here and there.
- New landscaping, place making and "feel" to Future World central spine - the area from the entrance, around Spaceship Earth, through the fountain area and out towards showcase.
- Proposals for The Land and Imagination, with nothing confirmed nor budgeted for as of yet. Proposals for additions and updates at various places around Showcase.
- Proposed new night time lagoon show in 2-3 years time.