Time FrameRemoval: 2022
Rumor StatusIn Development
Concept art for a redesigned Future World was released at the 2017 D23 Expo that showed the removal of Innoventions East and West. The plan appears to have evolved with only Innoventions West being removed.
It is expected that with the removal of Innoventions West that both Club Cool and Fountain View (Starbucks) will also be removed.
We are labeling this rumor as In Development until more details on these changes are announced.
April 8, 2019: WDWNT.com is reporting details on several of the expected changes coming to Epcot's Future World as part of Project Gamma. Details include the following:
- The center area of Future World (formerly Pin Central, beyond Spaceship Earth) will become a garden
- The Fountain of Nations (the fountain in front of the walkway to World Showcase) will become a permanent Beer Garden)
- Innoventions West will be replaced with several items including the "Journey of Water" trail/maze the "Festival Canopy" and "Character Meet and Greets"
- Club Cool and Fountain View / Starbucks will be replaced with a new Festival Center
The expectation is that these will be announced at or before the 2019 D23 Expo and completion is expected to be by 2022.
WDWMagic.com user marni1971 reported that while placement of specific items on the map created by WDWNT may be slightly off, the general points are correct.
February 21, 2019: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that the current plan calls for the removal of Club Cool.
February 21, 2019: Disney revealed details and concept art for the new entrance to Epcot. Part of this concept art shows the removal of Innoventions West.
February 10, 2019: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that as part of the removal of Innoventions West, Fountain View (Starbucks) would also be removed.
February 7, 2019: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that, "East trumps West" implying that Innoventions West will likely be closing as part of the overhaul to Future World.
December 17, 2018: WDWNT.com is reporting that construction walls are up in the Image Works area of the Imagination Pavilion in anticipation of meet and greets moving into this location. The article states that the Innoventions Meet and Greets including Wreck-It Ralph and Inside Out are expected to move to this location in preparation of the Innoventions buildings being removed as part of the Future World overhaul.
December 5, 2017: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that he knows the "Gardens of Wonder" name to be for part of the updates related to the center (central spine) of Future World. This could be related to the removal of Innoventions.
December 4, 2017: WDWNT.com is reporting that as part of the changes to Epcot, one possibilty is to add a "Garden of Wonder" in front of each pavilion in Future World and World Showcase. The idea for each of these is a display outside the pavilion that would be highlighted by a Disney character that's relevant to that pavilion.
July 15, 2017: At the 2017 D23 Expo, Disney confirmed that Epcot's Future World would be undergoing a significant redesign. Disney shared a piece of concept art for a newly designed Future World. The artwork shows the removal of the Innoventions facilities in favor of foliage and other structures.
Disney did not release this concept art with today's press release resulting in the image being taken from the Parks and Resorts presentation.
In addition to the removal of Innoventions, the exterior of The Seas Pavilion appears to be modified and other smaller structures can be seen throughout the area.
June 20, 2017: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that a final design for Innoventions has not been determined but he expects the project will be completed in the middle of 2020.
November 19, 2016: At the D23 "Destination D" event Bob Chapek, the Chairman of Disney Parks and Resorts said that major changes are coming to Epcot. A tweet from @DisneyParks cites Bob Chapek telling Imagineers to, "Dream Big" when it comes to Epcot changes. As part of this discussion, Bob Chapek also referenced an increased presence for the Society for Explorers and Adventurers which has been part of the backstory of several Disney attractions and areas throughout the world.
Chapek also emphasized that the changes would maintain the original vision of the park.
November 10, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 summarized additional possibilties for the Innoventions area:
- New name for Innoventions with a remodel.
- New store replacing Mouse Gear
- Possible expansions to the North East and North West
- Possible expansion to Starbucks
- Electric Umbrella space to be consolidated but remain a restaurant.
August 29, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 summarized all of the various proposals for Epcot's Future World. These included:
- Guardians of the Galaxy inspired ride coming to Universe of Energy
- More eating options in Futureworld Innoventions mostly gutted and repurposed.
- New interior layouts. Possible expansion here and there.
- New landscaping, place making and "feel" to Futureworld central spine - the area from the entrance, around Spaceship Earth, through the fountain area and out towards showcase.
- Proposals for The Land and Imagination, with nothing confirmed nor budgeted for as of yet. Proposals for additions and updates at various places around Showcase.
- Proposed new night time lagoon show in 2-3 years time.
August 24, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that one proposal for Innoventions would see changes to the interior and exterior with only the footprint remaining similar.
August 12, 2016: WDWMagic.com is reporting that both Sum of All Thrills and Storm Struck will have their last day of operation on September 14, 2016.
June 29, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that additional changes are expected to Innoventions.
June 24, 2016: WDWMagic.com user bugsbunny is reporting that The Sum of All Thrills is no longer listed on any internal Ratheon websites.
June 17, 2016: On the newest Epcot park map, The Sum of All Thrills continued to appear in Innoventions East.
May 18, 2016: WDWMagic.com user thecompman posted an image from The Sum of All Thrills website that indicates replaying the attraction online is only available through June 30, 2016.